View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Re: The Religious Left - a factor in Nov?

[ QUOTE ]
The religious left has always been there, but it has become subverted and marginalized by well funded groups of right wingers. Jimmy Carter appealed to religous folks because he was a kind, generous man. GWB or any of his ilk would never build a house for someone unless a camera was there.

The religious right plays into people's bigotry: God hates gays and brown people. Check out townhall.com, it sez: tolerance bad, education bad, war good. Oh, and women dont have any rights. I was at a wedding where the pastor made sure to say three times that the woman was the mans servant.

Or check this out, its tangentially related. http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/5/30/153115/873

Are people waking up was your question/point, Russ. I'd say we'll see if the same gay marriage on the ballot trick works again.

My Pastor is liberal, but a wuss. He'd never say anything political.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they will bring up the dead horse to get a few more beatings out of it.

there is speculation that the Ohio 2004 vote was rigged - but there is also documentation that shows an underground "get out the Republican vote" at several mega-churches around Ohio - which, if true, should disqualify them for non-profit status - seeing as how these churches rake in more money then most town businesses, that would be fitting.

the intolerance of the Religious Right on dissent is fun as well - I like this article but there are several I'm aware of.

RB