View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Society, Intuition and Logic

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm...it is not an "arbitrary" view that logic is a process. Logic cannot be an input for anything. You can input whatever you want into a logical framework, and depending on what you put in, you will get some result. But logic cannot be the input. Its pretty important that you understand this.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the outputs of logic can be fed into another process. Probably what he meant.

I don't like the view of emotion as a process. Emotional inputs affect logical outputs to a high degree, but the reverse isn't true.

"Logic" and "thought" aren't the same thing. Thought does affect emotion (albeit not, IMO, to anywhere near the extent that emotion affects thought). However, I don't think the process of logic actually affects emotion much - I think it affects thought, and thought can then affect emotion, so it's indirect. On the other hand, it seems that many assumptions used in logical processes come directly from the emotions - they're unexamined and almost instinctual.

A lot of people go nuts about this stuff. There's this new kind of philosophy cropping up of the opposed realms of art and science. You have your right versus your left brain, you have nature versus technology, you have emotion versus thought, you have intuition versus reason. Only, these pairs are neither exclusive nor opposed.