View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Why Im no longer an ACist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Scarce resources are the primary cause of poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a view. I think that unequal, unbalanced, unfair, distribution and withholding, and waste, of scarce resources are the primary cause of poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

unequal, unbalanced- this logically has nothing to do with poverty unless you measure it in only relative terms. For example, a millionaire in Beverly Hills is poor compared to his billionaire neighbor. I don't think you are concerned about this case. If it is the case, you are assuming there is only a fixed number of resources and that fixed number is very close to what we currently have. This isn't the case. In fact, by making things more "equal", there is also a great deal of loss in total resources. If you are an egalitarian who pities the millionaire in Beverly Hills due to his relative poverty, and would rather be a pauper in a society of paupers, this argument won't help much, and I don't think most people would agree with you.

unfair- This is entirely subjective. If someone redistributes wealth from the wealthy to the poor, this may be considered just as unfair as someone who is poor. Also, many resources cannot be transfered. For example, take hmk and his enormously small penis. He can never match up to Borodog and his enormous dong and therefore cannot have as hot of a wife. Do you intend to provide him a UBV (Universal Basic Vagina)?

distribution and withholding- you'll have to describe how this creates poverty. This just seems like a form of scarcity.

waste- agree that waste causes poverty. This is one of the reasons that I am against redistribution and unaccountable government agencies trying to "fix" these problems.