View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: \"The Ofdabeat hates backpackers special\"

[ QUOTE ]
I still find it hilarious that people are taking this thread seriously. Making fun of backpackers is the same level of offensive as saying "the Yankees suck." You guys are acting like the thread is titled "black people are inferior." This is no different than making fun of emo kids. I don't really care if someone wants to be emo, but I'm still going to laugh at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has clearly turned into more than this, at the fault of both parties. Many posts directed at backpackers were not written in an even slightly playful manner, just as many posts in response were similarly hateful.

I backpacked through Thailand for two months this summer and will be posting a trip report soon. I did not spend any time on Khao Sahn (I hated it) nor did I have dreads. I attended the Full Moon Party. I trekked in Chiang Mai. I made friends. Westerners and Thais. I ate countless pancakes and drank dozens of 20 baht banana shakes. I went to MBK and bought a fake Lacoste polo. I hung out with 4 bargirls from Soi Cowboy. I spent little money. I helped a Thai student with the pronunciation of the months. I trained Muay Thai for a week. I still talk to two Burmese girls I met at a restaurant. I'm sorry if the time I spent in Thailand was not up to anyone's standards about what travel should be. I had a great time. Sue me.