View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Got him in the middle

M, we don't know exactly what he has, thus the need for headreading skills.

You need to focus on Seat 4's hand. What does he have? It’s either the case 55s or K5; AA is very, very unlikely. With 55, his EV is about 75% in three way action, no matter what seat 8 has. This EV would account for his betting pattern on 3rd, 4th and 5th. According to “E” he’s a solid a player, “who gets value for his hands”, so his betting pattern makes perfect sense. With K5, it’s completely different. If seat 8 has reasonable cards, like a Js10s, JQ, JA or JsAs, seat 4 is even money against him BUT if seat 8 (KKxx) has any pair higher than the KK55, then seat 4 becomes a massive 8 to 1 “DOG”, to just seat 8. And in three way action, seat 4’s EV is just 6%, if behind seat 8, but still ahead of HERO. If any reasonable stud player were playing seat 4’s hand of K5, HU against seat 8, it would be a tough call. And if he did, he would be in check/call mode all the way to the river. Now if seat 1 just called on 4th, seat 4 has a very EZ fold. And seat 1, RR, thus making it an automatic fold for Seat 4. Seat 4 has a DEAD HAND. That’s why I asked about the definition of the word “DECENT”. Our DECENT player played this hand like a WHALE; under no circumstances does he have the “best of it” unless, of course, he has the case 5s. I play stud via “handreading skills” and these skills tell me to slow down. I can’t fold because the pot is $90 and I figure for an extra $6, maybe a free card, I get to see my river card. Thus, the CALL. A CALL is a very reasonable action to take in these circumstances, far from a BIG MISTAKE.

What’s truly hilarious about this hand, is that our DECENT player makes, not only a BIG MISTAKE, but a colossal Mistake.

So M to summarize, when the choice of plays is problematic, your best play is the one likely to be correct more than 50 percent of the time. Such as a CR on 6th by seat 1. HOWEVER, when the favored play has very bad consequences when it is wrong (the case 5s), and the less-favored play has only slightly bad consequences when it is wrong (another $6, maybe a free card), it may be correct to choose the less favored play. This is what E did, thus not a BIGGIE in the world of stud mistakes.

If you don't think this is a good reason, then lets debate more or if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck at the stud tables.

BTW E, seat 4 has a partner. Be careful and GL.