View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Society, Intuition and Logic

[ QUOTE ]
If it makes it easier, forget motherhood and love. Pick any interpersonal relationship, and any potentially related emotion. What does it feel like to be angry with a friend? Can logic do a better job of capturing that information than "intuition"?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does it feel like to be angry?
How did that get into comparing sources of knowledge about the external world. You 'knowing' your mother loves you is a claim about your mother. You feeling anger is a state you are in.

I was going to raise that point earlier and state that 'knowing my mother loves me' is often just a claim about you and not about her but since that rather brushes aside your position it didn't seem fair. Now, your 'being angry' example seems to indicate you are merely concerned with internal reports of things we are experiencing and not making claims about external facts.
??

My position is we can and do make judgments on others state of mind, intentions, motives on an intuitive basis, some of us are better at it than others in some areas and worse in some. "worse and better" refer to being right about the conclusions we reach. "See, he was trying to screw me."

'being angry' doesn't fit this at all. 'Knowing' your friend is angry by subtle clues would, and how often you are right is how we'd test it, when that is possible.

luckyme