View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

I'll bend the rules here simply to draw attention so something that is imo essensial to whisky drinking, and that is knowledge of scottish geography. There are districts and those usually come with their own brand of whiskys.

My favorate part is the island Islay. It all comes down to what one prefers in a drink, but .. I like smokey and complex and Islay offers that.

My two favorites are Laproigh and especially The Lagavulin (16 years), the ten year old laproigh is a bit harsh and lacking slightly immature, but the older are really good. The Lagavullin has always been my favorite.

There is also The Caol Ila (18 year old is what I have, but they are all fairly good) and the now closed Port Ellen, the latter I've never tasted, but it is supposedly very good.

My least favorite is the Ardbeg (15 years), that is smokey, but light ... and also The Bowmore is too dark and heavy, allthough I've only tasted the 12 year old Bowmore.

These reviews are very superficial, as I wanted to draw attention to Islay more than the indivial whiskys. It is a wonderful district, everything is very smokey with lots of character ... highly recommended!

Allthough when I feel in the need of something more civil I always turn to the Dalwhinnie (15 years) (Again no review, but there are not that many whiskys around, so I want to leave a bit space for others)

Also I do not know if it has been mentioned, but Michael Jackson has written a book, where he reviews all of Scotlands whiskys and then some, a classic book.

And to BD asking which whisky to start with, I'd say the Lagavulin else go with the 15 year old Laiphroigh or Dalwhinnie.