View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Default The smell goods.

I love things that smell good, don’t we all? Recently I had the opportunity to go with a friend in cosmetics to a perfume/cologne showcase. Since scent can probably be the most instant turn on or turn off in any situation, I figured a good exchange thread would be useful. Most the information here is either something I’ve gathered from reading, the showcase, or is simply personal preference.

I apply directly after toweling off from the shower. Apparently the moisture on your skin simultaneously dilutes the intensity of the smell and allows the scent to hold longer. Generally I put a small dab or spritz in my hair, as hair holds scent longer, then one small dab on a wrist, rub them together then a across my neck. It is important to allow the cologne to set before putting on any jewelry or watches as most metallic items will change the scent, adding an almost coppery undertone. When applying always remember the number one rule with scents, err on the side of too little.

Generally when choosing scents you have to think about your body type. If you “secrete” a lot, or generally have a strong personal smell you want to go more towards your musk and heavier colognes. If your skin is often dry or you simply don’t sweat you want to consider the lighter, more acidic scents.

Being one of the latter I use Este Lauder’s Pleasures for Men, it’s an inexpensive citrus scent that’s light and faintly smells of tangerines, furthermore the applicator is usually a mist, allowing for more even dispersions. Occasionally when I think I’m going to be smoking a lot, or in a bar I’ll go a little stronger; currently partial to Polo Blue, a heavier and crisper scent but still a citrus base. For those of you preferring a heavier musk scent I would recommend the Polo Black. I have also heard from several women about a purple bottled Prada cologne that is irresistible.

As far as perfumes go I’m a big fan of women who wear Dior Addict, and I pretty much want to attack anyone wearing Sublime by Jean Patou.

As a final note, for those of you who react to badly cologne’s consider baby powder. In almost every blind survey baby powder wins as most “attractive” smell.

So what cologne’s, perfumes and scent schemes work for you EDF?