View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stockpile their own scripts

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a WGA member, the union requires that you turn in all partials within 5 days of the start of the strike, regardless of who "owns" them. This is intended to assure members put in their 20 hours/week on the picket line and do not surreptitiously work on scripts. How it's enforceable is anyone's guess.

edit

it's part of the "Script Validation Program." Note that it covers spec work for existing struck shows as well as anything produced on spec within the past 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, I'm not a WGA member, so "Pencils Down" doesn't apply to me. As I understand the rules, if a non-member does scab work or has contact with struck companies they could keep them from joining the guild.

My thought was that I could continue writing. I have 3 screenplays I beleive are ready to be submitted, and by the time the strike is over I could probably have 6 completed. All I'd be doing during that time is writing since I wouldn't be sending out the 3 I already have ready to go.

I like my chances sending out 6 screenplays rather than 3. The only thing is, I'd have to wait months until I could actually see any kind of appreciable result from any of my writing. I'm not friends with many people in the industry and no matter how many friends and family tell me they enjoyed what I wrote, it doesn't mean a thing.

Good thing I love writing. If I was doing it just for a paycheck I'd be in trouble right now lol.

However, I wasn't trying to hijack this thread, just looking for some insight. Thanks for those who had input.

[/ QUOTE ]

6>3 is a common misconception. Nobody ever says "send me your 6 scripts". They say "send me your best one", and if it's not outstanding, they never look at anything from you again.

What you need is 1. One amazing, flawless, pretty damn near perfect script. An "A" won't do it. You need to get an "A+". That's what it takes to break in. Then, ideally, you should have a second one ready as backup.

It's taken me over five years to get my two "A+" scripts ready. So thinking in terms of months is pretty short-sighted IMHO. Learn your craft. It's very, very, very hard.