View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: General Questions regarding preflop play / leaks

[ QUOTE ]
1. In live full ring games, suppose the table is pretty decent, not everyone is a rock, how often should you be cold-calling 2 bets. Should you always take a 3 bet or fold mentality? What situations would be good to cold call 2 bets? How big a leak is it in a tight game?

2. What are mistakes players generally make that are huge leaks?

3. What are mistakes players generally make that are minor?

4. How important is getting extra bets in and value betting thin? Or what are situations where players aren't maximizing their winrate?

[/ QUOTE ]

If nobody has yet called the raise, you might cold call once every 8 to 10 hours. Probably hands like AJs and KQs only... and KQs is very marginal if nobody else has yet called as you really want multi-way.

Medium pocket pairs, 88, 99, TT, call if somebody else has called the raise before you. If everybody after the raiser has folded to you then these should usually be three bets as you won't get the pot odds to draw to a set.

Other hands like smaller pocket pairs and suited connectors should only be played for two bets when a few others have called the raise before you.

In a looser but somewhat passive game that usually has 5 or more player to the flop, even when it has been raised, you can cold call with hands like 44, 55, 66 when there are five or more players yet to act as you will usually get the odds you need to draw to the set. But that is not the game you are describing here.

Big mistake is playing the same way in multi-way pots that you'd play in heads up pots... like making continuation bets on the turn with air with 3 opponents. Or calling with top pair small kicker after a bet and raise.

My big leak: playing live games the same way you'd play online. Thinking that mediocre players are always making moves on you. Example: pair of sixes against one opponent who is betting with one broadway on the board, not an ace. Probably a call down online against a tough player and a fold live.

Minor mistakes: cold calling with pretty strong hands that should be three bet. I've read that it is major but believe it must be minor because I've seen some authors suggest it and have seen winning pro player do it often. But I'm still inclined to think it is a leak.