View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Getting Married for Tax Breaks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is unles your GF is also related to you. Are you from Arkansas? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, obv. I take your word for it, but that's very strange as I read through dependent claiming rules that I thought indicated 'providing >50% support for live-with partner = eligible'. There definitely were stipulations and new standards regarding claiming relatives, too.. I got a 2nd opinion from someone older who read the rules (not a tax advisor) and they concurred. Even more odd that when I provided proof to my school and told them it was my gf they were cool with it and listed me independent.

Oh well, I will have to revise last year's. Luckily don't have to worry about this year's return.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not impossible to use your GF as a dependent depending on where you live but be careful. In some States the common law marriage will occur, then your tax claims will be fine but technically you might be legally married. Just not sure it is worth taking the chance. On the other hand if your GF was a male "life partner" even without any legally recognizable marriage it is quite easy to claim them as a dependent, screwy huh?

Jimbo