View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
But I think people do go to prison on flimsy evidence and emotional appeals. Don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably in some cases, but not in major trials where murder and the possibility of a death penalty is relevant. And Im confident that if one trial is screwed up or maybe even two they will find justice a long time before they are ready for the execution.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know? Do you have any idea if anyone is even bothering to check? I don't. But I'm scared to hell of what an angry jury will do given a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember having read (from what I at the time determined to be credible sources) that some independent groups (also those with an interest against the death penalty involved) had gone through all cases (where the suspect had been executed) that some felt were controversial, and found that there was no reason to believe that anyone had been wrongfully executed. Thats not worth much without a link or refernce to the material, but thats what I base my argument upon. And there are plenty of people out there interrested in checking these cases and helping out those on death row.

[ QUOTE ]
For sure. Millions of dollars of tax payer money to get...what exactly? Emotional closure for some victim's family? Revenge? What?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so a disaster financially, that might be true. But I was more thinking of it as a disaster as in "do you think that the system leading to execution of convicts today can be classified as a disaster?", leaving the cost out of it.