View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/19 - 500K buyin pt 3 - Spoilers on al

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously crap episode. Wish they would get rid of these donks and bring some Internet pros in to feast on Guy, wanna see an allout bloodbath.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post bothered me. I'm not responding to it b/c I want the OP to read this, i'm responding to it so others, especially young and impressionable poker players might read it.

For starters, Guy has played ultra high limit poker for a long time. He's also a self made billionaire. He's probably like most players- plays well when winning, plays terrible when losing. That's the biggest difference in his results versus a consumate professional. Yes, guy is a loser in the game to the best of our knowledge, but your remark is both trite and ignorant. I dont care who you bring in to the game- poker is not a feast, poker is not a bloodbath, poker is a game where a loser loses money gradually, not in some hemmoraghing-cash-come apart at the seams- spew fest, and an incredibly succesful and capable business man with his savy is not going to give a performance like that no matter who you put in the game. Furthermore, Guy has made very few mistakes, and the mistakes he has made are related to loss of value on his winning hands, and the biggest mistakes that a player can make for some rookie like yourself to label him a bad player, well, he hasn't made, i.e., calling PSB's when obviously beat, etc. If you notice, most very large pots in poker games occur when one player has a very strong hand and the other has a slightly stronger hand, i.e., a cooler- you're not going to see a $1M pot where guy calls down OOP w/ bottom pair against top set, when losers lose in poker it's from a gradual loss of value and a steady series of -EV calls, not b/c they shoved any two into the nuts PF.

You need to reconsider your comments and approach to the game, b/c the truth is that Guy has played well and he demonstrated some very strong abilities in his game in the last show.

-Tex