View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

Margo Timmons

In a post above Lounge guru Dom gave me the OK to go with Margo Timmons, primary singer and sometimes songwriter for the Cowboy Junkies. Her brother Michael writes most CJ music so I guess it’s in the blood.

What I like most about Margo and the Junkies is the timelessness of their music; it simply never gets dated. They also don’t have “skip over tracks”, important if you actually listen to some of your music on a CD player/stereo.

Their first album from 1990 was the acclaimed Trinity Sessions, recorded during a one-day recording session in an old church. On YouTube I found Misguided Angel and their cover of Sweet Jane used in the Natural Born Killers soundtrack.

The second album Caution Horses wasn’t as well received but it’s still among my favorites. This live version of Sun Comes Up, It’s Tuesday Morning isn’t quite as refined as the studio cut but is about as strong a song about a bittersweet end to a relationship that’s ever been written. “Cause Cheap Is How I Feel” is probably the best track on this CD but only available on the Amazon Windows Media Sampler.

From Lay It Down we have the beautiful Angel Mine and the sublime A Common Disaster.

Finding this live version of To Live Is To Fly is my reward for finding and verifying all these links.

Margo later joked about her “big hair” that can be seen in this 1989 SNL appearance and later on Austin City Limits.

The good thing about having two monitors is I can write this post on one while watching and listening to a performance like this on the other.

Enjoy I hope.

~ Rick