View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: What is the most tragic thing you\'ve ever had to deal with

Wow, this thread really astounds me - just when I think everyone on 2 plus 2 is totally immature and insensitive and then I see this thread...profound!

Our son was diagnosed at 10 months old with what was supposed to be a fatal brain tumor. We were told to take him home to die in comfort...well I am a "type A" woman who said "that is unacceptable" and did find a doctor across the country who was willing to treat him - she did and he is still with us 7 years later.

He is profoundly disabled as a result of a stroke during his first surgery and has significant cognitive and physical disabilities...pretty sad and tragic on paper as he doesn't eat, talk, walk, or function much above a 1 year old...

That said, when you meet our little guy, there is a profound joy in his heart - he doesn't talk, yet plays the piano without ever having taken a lesson. He is the strongest soul I have ever known.

When we look at everything we have been through and what is ahead of us, we think we are the lucky ones...our son has taught us to value the smallest things in life and be joyful and always hope.