Thread: Opening a Bar
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Opening a Bar

zacd,

This is essentially a dirt hole. I personally don't go to bars like this at all. But first, thank you for the well written and thoughtful post. Lemme see if I can get through this.

1) Location and Demos are solid. There is a central bar district where just about every bar is located. Well atleast ~70% of the main bars in town. So it creates a ton of bar hopping. The particular area we were looking at is a little bit spaced away from the main area (3 blocks) and across the street from another bar. Both were open previously but were dubiously managed.
2) Word. I'm sure I'll come through random nights and make sure everything is fine or bring my friends around to the place every once in a while. But for the most part I'd like to keep it fairly apart from my actual life. I'm kinda hoping ownership culls my drinking a bit as well. Since if I have to go count dollarz at 5AM on Sat morning. I'm likely to not get shammered that night.
3) It'll probably be a "dance club" place with a decent sound system. It'll be able to have a DJ and other stuff. This is mostly the other guys deal. He handles all those sorts of things.
4) Meh. No food. Well maybe, we might have Crawfish Boils or something else occasionally on off nights or something of the sort, but running a full on kitchen seems like mega hassle.
5) I think truer words have never been spoken. Hopefully we can find several responsible kids. I'm inclined to believe that hiring a trustworthy guy and like 4 hotties would be the best bet. Though I'm not super well versed in this area. I'd imagine hot bartenders are always a plus.
6) Yeah, I do need to brush up on this.

From a financials stand point: The initial investment is fairly low and should be able to run at a decent clip if we can get everything off the ground. Markups on drinks etc etc are very high like everywhere. If things go even moderately I should recoup my investment costs in ~6 months plus whatever equity we gain in the business. Obviously, the biggest worry is just outright failure, but starting with something that isn't capital intensive seems to be a solid plan. (Atleast from the small biz readings I've managed)