View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand 10nl How do you play it?

This is mostly a grunch, since there's like 8 replies while I've been writing it:

Re: T8s UTG. I think it's marginal and i'd fold it the majority of the time given the typical table, but with the right image or table I raise it sometimes, especially if the blinds fold to c-bets too much and the LP players aren't making squeeze plays, and very very rarely I might even limp it with a loose-passive table of villains who don't raise pre-flop but get it in too loose postflop. In my opinion it's a threshold hand where table dynamics should factor heavily into how you play it, although folding is the best "default" play.

On the flop, with 100bb starting stacks I just shove here pretty much all the time for slightly more than a pot-sized raise. Here, about 130bb deep, it's less clear, but even discounting fold equity, and even if his range is only {JJ+,77,22,AhJh,Ah7h} you still have 40% equity, so I think it will be marginally +EV to get it in here, and of course it's even more so if add hands like AJo and if he folds that and some of the overpairs sometimes.

Given that it shouldn't be -EV even in the worst case scenario, and given that against a large part of his range your implied odds on the flush might not be very good, and that you lose a lot of equity on a blank turn, I think I would go ahead and raise the flop. I'm not certain whether it's better to just shove outright (which is a big overbet) or just raise to like $8. I'd probably just shove.

Note: I agree with the general sentiment that 10nl is more about value betting than fold-equity, and not semi-bluffing too lightly is one of the adjustments I had to make before I started actually winning at micro-stakes, but raising or betting with a strong combo-draw is, at some level, a value bet, since generally it increases the amount of equity you get from your hand. I don't semi-bluff raise a gut-shot at 10nl (a hand which depends heavily on FE) but a ~10-ish (discounting a bit) draw is very strong and raising it here is as much for value as it is for fold equity, in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
I donīt think he has a flush draw or else he wouldnīt have really folded on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't reason like this when considering the flop action because obviously you don't know that he's going to fold to a turn shove on the flop, and normally you shouldn't assume that a flop check-raiser in a raised-pot is going to fold to a 3-bet on a (relatively) blank turn.