View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: How would you handle this typical situation?

Apoligize for the disorganized nature of my response:

How to handle a button who will often/always "peel" the flop check/raise

If I suspect he will "peel the flop c/r" I'll check-raise them all except j6o which I check fold.

I do this mostly to balance my play.. Since im so often check/folding scary flops, it's almost always correct for a late position player to bet any 2 cards... and im likely not getting anymore action from a player of this description unless he has me beat. including if I just call this flop.. Once I call the flop Ive given away almost as much information as if I took the lead on it.

How I handle future streets depends on the cards that fall.
On a board like this, nearly all turns I fire, because of the assumption he peels the flop c/r. While most rivers I get passive with.
I'll proabily c/c low aces on the river, c/f most other pairs and air. (sometimes c/c a low pair if a diamond doesnt fall + supicious timing).

If a card on the turn like the 9 of spades comes up, I have air and the river brings a diamond; I may fire another barrel with air since I figure he now can have a bunch of draws in his range that he picked up on the turn that may fold.. Also, he may even lay down a lower pair cause he may have put me on a flush draw or pair of aces.. Both of which he is losing to.

Id sexy or b/c two pair+ depending on the cards that fall. Mostly sexy. This is because most of the time, when they call you to the river, its beacuse they hit the turn card or they have a pair of aces. So it the turn is like a J/K/Q.. Ill probabily lead. If the turn is a blank and they call, Ill probabily check/raise..

How to handle a player who would very likely fold to your flop check/raise on the flop

If I suspect the player is not very good as to read my inconsistancies, but will fold if he doesnt have a pair or a draw. I'll c/r the flop with my mid pairs and air, c/f UI air on the turn.. c/c the flop/turn/river with weak aces, donking if a JKQ falls anywhere.

With two pair I would call the flop and donk any turn planning to 3-bet.

I'd c/r with air more frequently against this player type.

Reason I c/r my air and pairs instead of a pair of aces is because I believe I can knock the BB's hand out assuming he doesnt have a pair of aces or a diamond draw. If I bet, he's coming in with any pair. If HE bets, Ill have information about where I stand in the hand and wont bother taking a stab at the pot.. If button calls or raises, I can muck any hand worse than a pair of aces.
If I improve, I wont know where I stand if I had just bet.

However, if I c/r and BB cold calls or 3-bets, Ill know where I stand right away and probabily c/f the turn regardless of what comes (unless I improve to 2pair).

If I have a pair of aces+ , my call may incorrectly suck BB's worse pair into the pot too. Best scenario is with 2 pair, you suck him into the pot, and he improves to a worse two pair.

CONCLUSION

I gave two different scenarios for different player profiles, and the line I take can be very different for each. Without a read other than merely "average, somewhat agressive", I would probabily take the lines of the second player profile.. However, I would probabily check/raise a pair of aces most of the time intead.. And I'd fire another barrel on the turn if I picked up a draw with my air.. check/fold if I didn't.

A very important concept that most people forget is:

IN TINY POTS WINNING BETS IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS WINNING THE POTS

Because of this reason playing small pots like this is VERY player speicifc because you are primarily trying to extract bets from them, as opposed to primarly protecting your hand.

Therefore in a small pot my lines could change drastically depending on who im playing against. However, in a bigger pot, my early lines would be pretty similar despite the players im against.