View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: How would you handle this typical situation?

a) I would lead out hoping to get some action. My hand is strong enough to reraise if someone obliges my desires by raising. Sometimes, I would check intending to check/raise since I am not worried very much about free cards, will make some money from inducing bluffs, and will sometimes make more money from hands that will call down if I bet out but will bet and then call down if I check raise. To some extent the reason I bet out here with top and bottom is to balance those times I bet out with weaker hands.

b) I would generally check to give worse hands a chance to bet drawing slim.

c) I would usually bet out because I am happy to take the pot right here and fold out overcards, and I have outs to fall back on if my hand is not best.

d) I would usually check, intending to fold to a bet (though perhaps check/raising a bet by the CO). If I bet out, it was because I thought I could take this pot down more than 1 out of 4 times, in which case I would bet any two cards (i.e. the fact that I have a pair right now and my hand might be "best" at the moment is irrelevant; what I really have if I don't win the pot on the flop immediately is a 2-out draw, along with weak backdoor straight/flush draws).

e) I'd usually bet out here as my chances of taking the pot immediately or improving to the best hand usually make this a +EV bet.

f) I'd usually check/fold this hand (again sometimes check/raising a button bet if I think he will fold immediately often enough, and sometimes betting out if I think I can win the pot immediately often enough).

In theory, a bet with any two cards might show an immediate profit. In practice, I don't try this play all of the time, and therefore I usually balance by trying to steal with hands that have a little extra (but note that Js9s is a better stealing hand than 2h 2d in this regard).