View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 AM

Default ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

This should be a great series. On paper, these teams are very close in a 7 game series.

CC and Beckett are both legit aces, games 1 and 5 should be classics. Carmona has been on a great roll as well; he should face off against Schilling in games 2 and probably 6. Schilling isn't peak Schill anymore, but since coming back from his injury, he has been one of the better pitchers in baseball. both these games will be played in Fenway.

the games 3 (and 7? gulp) starters are both wildcards. Westbrook had some great starts and some really bad ones; ditto for Dice-K. I think you give the edge to Dice-K here, but at this point I'm not thrilled sending either one up there.

(the above assume Schill gets moved up to game 2)

game 4 will likely be Byrd vs Wakefield (or Lester). again, this is a pretty even matchup. I think Lester > Wake, but Tito is likely to go with the vet, if healthy.

both teams have great, fully rested, healthy bullpens. I'm not sure where the edge goes here.

I think the clear lineup edge, though, goes to the Red Sox. they scored 56 more runs than the Indians this year, and nearly 100 more equivalent runs. This was with Manny having a downyear, and JD Drew being pretty bad. if JD can keep it somewhat, and Manny stays locked in, the Red Sox lineup gets a big edge. they are patient and powerful. the also led the league in stealing %.

defensively, I don't really know enough to comment. both teams look pretty solid.

in sum:

Cleveland SP small edge
Boston lineup big edge
bullpens and defense too close to call.

sooo...

I predict Red Sox in 7 games