View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

Sara Brightman.

Anyone who has ever stood in Front of the Fountains of Bellagio in Las Vegas has probably heard what many people confuse as their theme song: It's Time to Say Goodbye. The song features Sara Brightman and Adreas Bocelli, the worlds two most famous pop-opera singers. Sara Brightman was born in Hertfordshire, England.

After gaining fame in dance troupes such as Hot Gossip, she turned her attention to musicals, ultimately landing a role in Cats, where she met and married Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. Lloyd Webber wrote music to showcase her talent, and Phantom of the Opera was born. She later divorced and began working pop-opera, cementing her success in yet another genre.

Her later albums are more poppy. It is hard to explain her voice and style. She has a high ethereal voice, fitting to the music she sings over, which at times is pure opera, other times lite-rock, and at other times electronic.

Discography:

Dive (1993): Excellent album featuring some of her best music. A water themed album featuring "Captain Nemo."
Fly (1995):
Time to Say Goodbye (1997): A fine collection of songs, featuring the title song.
Eden (1998):
La Luna (2000): I enjoy some of this album.
Classics (2001): A terrible album. Poorly produced featuring covers of classical music. A rare attempt at pure opera. If there was better music behind her, this album would have reached it's potential.
Harem (2003): I would suggest to any beginning listener to start with this album. It is featured and easily accessable on any music service, including Rhapsody and iTunes. It shows her range and interests, easy on the ears, yet energetic enough to keep you engaged.

wiki info

main home page

“Tell me more about Sarah ...”

It's a casual and simple enough request. However, attempts to respond invariably begin with a prolonged pause… as one tries to formulate a response that can meaningfully encapsulate the longevity, diversity and mystique of Sarah Brightman....

Time to Say Goodbye Video

Phantom