View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

For me, when it comes to "modern" music, I overwhelmingly favor male singers. That's not only because there have been more male bands out there. If you look at my playlist, I'll have many albums' worth of music for my favorite male bands, but I'll only have a few select tracks from the likes of Heart, Fleetwood Mac (actually mixed voices singing), and others. I don't have a good way to explain it, but in general, female rock singers just don't hit me in the same way the men do.

If you look at my jazz and blues playlist, though, the ratio of male to female singers is much closer to parity. There's a chance it favors the women, really, if you look strictly at the vocalist and vocal music and disregard the strictly instrumental stuff, but I haven't done any actual accounting. There are some songs I've heard done by both men and women, and many times I prefer the women. I again don't have a great explanation, but I think that in general, I women singing in this style suits me much more. Depending on how this thread goes, I might find myself contributing a fair bit or very little.

I suppose some of this might be exposure -- having heard more jazz ladies than rock ladies, but I've also gone out hunting for jazz ladies, but I haven't bothered much for the rock ladies. I'm curious if you guys will highlight a rock lady I latch onto.