View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Talk to me about AJo from various positions.

Assuming you're playing a typical mid-limit game at a place we'll call Broccoli Pete's, AJo is a fold to an UTG raise.

Per SSHE, a book which very much fits the game conditions in this hypothetical mid-limit game, AJo is a fold in the hand you described.

Were your AJ suited, Miller and Sklansky contend that you may make a rare cold call as the suitedness of the hand lessens the impact of potential domination.

In the Stox book (curretnly out of my hands and in the possession of another Broccoli Pete's semi-regular), Stox has you folding AJo to a raise from three spots off the button (and three betting AQ).

Early position raise notwithstanding, AJo is never a great hand in these fairly loose games. The off suit nature of the hand means suffer from reverse implied odds in a big field and you're typically going to see four or five to the flop.

As such, raise first in is fine, isolating a bad, loose limper late is reasonable, but raising when you expect a big field is something I now prefer to avoid in this hypothetical game.

Sklansky handles this subject well on page 161-164 of HEFAP.

My results improved in live play substantially when I started to take my foot of the gas preflop with non-suited Broadway cards when acting after limpers (not that this is your question). Calling EP raises with these cards would be a definite leak.