View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: free will and god poll

[ QUOTE ]
uh...you just bascially said "i have a good argument that free will doesn't exist" then you don't make any sort of argument

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just stating an opinion.

In every free will thread I become involved with, I explain this argument to people. Those who are both able to understand it and withstand it's implications, usually had thought it out by themselves before. As about the others, it's pointless. So I think I'm gonna take a stand here and not give the argument yet again. You can search these forums for any of the other hundreds of free will threads. If it wasn't me who explained this argument in the particular thread you encounter, there was probably someone else.

EDIT: Oh, ok, I can't stand not giving any sort of argument, so here's a quicky one, if you want a more in-deph argument do as I said earlier.

The canonical idea of Free Will is that humans have the freedom to make decisions that are unaffected by the physical rules of this universe, and/or by any interfering factors.

I contest that from what we know of our universe, and what we know about human beings and their consciousness, this is impossible. It may still be true, since we don't know everything (and hence nothing is 100% certain), but the odds against it are infinitely larger than the odds against the existence of a personal God (which are pretty huge already).