View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: How Kenny Tran Rates Internet Players

[ QUOTE ]
Personality, looks, charisma, etc. does not count. All that matters is if you can play.

Another example of something like this is in basketball, if we compare the Harlem Globetrotters and the Charlotte Bobcats. Who's better? According to some of you the Harlem Globetrotters are a better team because they entertain me. Right? Nevermind the fact that they would get blown out in a real game...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absurd statement. In live games all of these traits can have a positive influence, not only on your game, but on your game selection.

Many of the best pros gravitate towards a relaxed, friendly, easy going attitude and demeanor.

It may help you in a game setting where it may cause a player to relax with you and give information or to trust you or to "like you" and not want to target you or to bluff you.

Not only that, but these are the types of people that whales like playing with. The Daniel Negreanu and Sammy Farhas, etc. These players and others have mastered the art of taking people's money, while leaving them satisfied and entertained. There is something to be said for that.

I remember even Jannifer Harmon in the HSP saying something to the effect of, Sammy F. is the only player I can lose a pot to and not be mad. or something like that.

Either way, to discount an ability like Daniel's to befriend people, talk with them , learn about them and then use that to his advantage is absurd.

I would imagine that the majority of top online players, like said earlier are more "technically sound", however, I would find it hard to believe that most "internet" players would not have a difficult time during the transition period from Online play to Live. I also think the same would be true for most live players making the transition to online play, though I do not think it would be as drastic for them.

I doubt anyone can deny, no matter how solid you are, bluffing someone out of a pot Live, is much much different, than online and this alone takes a certain amount of time to grow confortable with.