View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
A huge number of Americans to varying degrees have more in common with your average Western European than with other Americans (secular, bi or multilingual, well-traveled, highly educated, self-aware, etc.) And the ones that don't fit that description don't have opinions beyond American Idol or snackfoods about this subject that are worth hearing. So the whole original question is kind of silly.

The second is that Americans who are radically different from Europeans aren't going to be the kind of people capable of explicating a worthwile thought on the matter of cultural differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a European I can just say that myself and most people I know have very little in common with pricks like yourself. And if you think that most Western-Europeans are people who would like going with you to the art-gallery, eat cheese and sip from a glass of red wine while disussing French poetry after a short ride in a smart little electrical car I have to disappoint you. We go mental when it comes to sport, we fight as much as Americans but we dont have the guns, we dress a bit smarter but that doesnt help much when were drunk off our ass, and basically all nations have their own popular Idol-version going on.

I hate to break it to you, but if you had grown up in an European country you would still have been picked last for sports, still would have been bullied and you would be angry at "all the stupid people in your country that are so different than you and dont get you and arent as sophisticated and self-aware" as yourself.