View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Song lyrics that either hit home or have personal meaning

No judging based on the bands here, I'm just curious and thought it'd be interesting to hear of others experiences with song lyrics that really related or stirred up emotions

I was thinking that you could post either part of the song or all of the song and discuss them.... if this is a stupid thread idea, let me know, but I thought it'd be interesting

I'm an emotional fellow though, so I really get into good lyrics, and enjoy thinking out loud

On the latest Jimmy Eat World CD, there is a song called Dizzy... here are the lyrics:

(Verse 1)
You close your eyes and kiss your hand then you blow it
But it isn't meant for me… and I notice
If the choice was ours alone
Then why did we both choose letting go?
Does it end like this?

Time never had a chance to heal your heart
Just a number always counting down to a new start
If you always knew the truth
Then the world would spin around you
Are you dizzy yet?

(Chorus)
Respectfully, some honesty I'm calling out
Do you hear this conversation we talk about?
Back away to the safety of a quiet house
If there's a half a chance in this moment, when your eyes meet mine, we show it

(Verse 2)
All talk not a lot to think we were living dreams
Shame never crept close to our naked feet
If there's something left to lose
Then don't let me wear out my shoes
I'm still walking

I tried but it rang and rang I called all night
On a pay phone (remember those!) from another life

If everything I meant to you,
You can lick and seal then fold in two then I've been so blind

(Chorus)
Respectfully, some honesty I'm asking now
Do you hear the conversation we talk about?
Back away to safety of a quiet house
If there's half a chance in this moment
When your eyes meet mine, we show it (Ooh)

(Bridge)
take it all back take the first, your last, your only
take it all back take it all back everything you showed me
this must be how it feels when the feeling goes

I told you as I hovered I'd never felt this way
You said: I had the shot that stops my clock, baby it's ok
You said you'd never have regrets
Jesus! Is there someone yet who got that wish?
Did you get yours? Babe?

(Chorus)
Respectfully, some honesty I'm asking now
Do you hear the conversation we talk around?
Back away to the safety of a quiet house
If there's half a chance in this moment...
When your eyes meet mine we show it.

----------

I could've written this song

Late in high school, the first time I really started getting attached to a girl, she played me like a fool and left me for another guy.

The first time I ever saw her around this guy, she blew me a kiss as she was leaving... and at the time I thought it was sweet or whatever, but the other guy was there too, and to this day I have no idea if she seriously was blowing me this kiss or him

Whatever, not a biggie, but that was about a week before we broke up... she kind of made me think that it was mutual, that we had different desires, we were going different directions (in high school??), blah blah. I was pretty beat up about it, and really was emotional for a couple weeks after, felt like I was idiot for getting attached to her

But then I find out that she's dating this other guy like a week later. "If the choice was ours alone, then why'd we both choose letting go?" I didn't choose letting go, she did.

I'm not quite sure what "Time never had a chance to heal your heart" means, but "If you always knew the truth, then the world would spin around you, are you Dizzy yet?" just makes me think about how freaking selfish she was and how she knew the whole freaking time there was another guy... the whole thing sounds like something sarcastic I would say... Everything must revolve around you, are you dizzy yet? (I'm so emo, I know)

The chorus... I'm just asking for some honesty, did you not hear the conversation when you broke up with me where you just talk around the truth? I should've known when my eyes met yours that we didn't have a chance.

I was blindsided by her and then the next day after we broke up she calls me saying that she loves me and if I do x,y, and z then we could be together, but she's so unsure of herself... "if there's something left to lose, then don't let me wear out my shoes, I'm still walking"... I'm still hanging to you, don't drag me along and give me falso hope

The bridge is where it really gets to me... I told her how I'd never felt that way about anyone, she smiled and said the same, that she was ready to get in a serious relationship or whatever to, that I was the 'marrying' type, played with my head, told me her dreams (I assume " had the shot that stops my clock, baby it's ok" meant to him that he should feel secure feeling that way towards her)

She seriously told me when we broke up she had no regrets, well, awesome, thanks for that.

Well, did you get that wish with this other guy? Babe?

Anyway, as I'm writing this it maybe comes off as immature or weird, but this song really got to me, and even though I'm totally 100% happily married and glad that it didn't work out with that girl now, I still hold a little bit of anger for how she [censored] me over, and then I heard this song and it was like I was singing it

Anyway, flame on or maybe you can tell a story of how some song really got to you

Brad