View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Players in Your Game Getting Angry...

Listen, folks, don't play with your professors or employers. Especially when you're in a position to be an authority figure over them.

Put aside the idea that he's your boss and at least think about how you would handle anybody else acting like this.

For me, if someone's constantly a jerk, s/he doesn't get invited back. I don't care how big of a donator someone is, Rule #1 is No A-Holes.

A couple of weeks ago we did have a bit of an argument between a few people at another table, so I took each of them outside individually and asked them what happened, trying to be supportive and in simple information-gathering mode so that I could figure out the situation and address it. Turns out one player was reacting to the play of his girlfriend, then defending his actions because in his mind she's not very good. So instead of folding like he wanted and like she was planning, she called with the best hand just to show she wasn't being told what to do, and it was a mess. So I told the offender that it's okay, I react sometimes too, but the important thing is to recognize an error, apologize for it, and move on. This player has caused some problems before and is a bit annoying, but not yet to A-Hole range. Regardless, he hasn't been back since, and while I did my best to make sure he felt welcome, I'm not mourning the loss.

Another time we had a player who I've known for years at a different game get a little too aggressive. I know him and so I don't always remember how he seems to others, but some of the players told me that they didn't like his attitude and didn't like how I was allowing him to charge around and be a jerk. Thankfully he had sense to stay away for a few weeks after a bit of a rage, and the next time he called to ask about the game I was forced into the awkward conversation. I told him that he was welcome if he was able to keep the anger under control, as it was making others uncomfortable. I told him that I knew him and I understood his demons, but that it wasn't the small group we play with in the other game and that I needed to look out for everyone's comfort. Thankfully for me he understood (and happened to be working on anger management at the time), and he's been generally okay in his sporadic visits.

So, er, not much advice, other than relate some stories of how I've dealt with touchy situations. In the end, it's your game, and you have to take charge of it. It's unfortunate that your boss has put you in this double-bind no-win situation.