View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Part of everyday life?: Backstabbing, jealousy, games, using people

I have been watching Big Brother for years. We all watch these reality shows like Big Brother and Survivor, and some of us love the scheming, games, backstabbing and feel like voyeurs.

But are these characteristics we watch on TV, part of everyday human behaviour? Would they still be that prevalent in people if they weren't on a reality TV show? More specifically, part of the people directly around us like sisters, cousins and close friends.

I have noticed a few relationships I have damaged from these television like issues:
-jealousy from a friend from being overcompetitive
-my sister disassociating with me because she knows I don't approve of how she takes advantage of our naive mother. She takes every last dollar she can from her to live her bar manager lifestyle of a new car every 4 years, and contantly shopping and living the lifestyle of those that read People Magazine.
-My cousin who is the same age as me, viewing everything we do as some sort of competition against one another, and can't let it go.

Its almost sickening how these TV like qualities touch so close to real life. Is my life just messed up beyond belief? Or is this what reality and human nature is? And I should learn to deal with reality?

Has anyone ever been at a point in their life where good human beings are almost a rare thing?