Thread: Peace Corps
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Peace Corps

Thanks for the responses so far.

I've heard 60% get accepted, I didn't know they were as selective as 20% acceptance but it does make sense that they want very committed individuals.

I'm probably not the "standard" applicant. I'm a senior at a top 25 university majoring in Economics and minoring in Urban Planning. I'm on track to be the stereotypical future finance/accounting bitch. But I don't think I can ever work in the finance industry. I'm very financially stable for my age (thanks to poker), and because of poker I've realized life isn't about making money, but about doing something that makes you happy. I've had two finance internships but if the high income which I could probably get through finance doesn't interest me, then why should I be unhappy and toil in the finance industry? At the same time, I've developed a geniune interest in social work, helping society, blah blah etc. That's why I picked up my minor. At the moment, I don't have much community service experience and not much outdoorsman experience (besides boy scouts, but I quit my freshman year in high school). But in terms of intelligence, work ethic, genuine interest, etc. I feel I am superior than other Peace Corps applicants... although I'm definitely lacking in some important areas.

And honestly, I don't know if I could hack it.