Thread: Other Realities
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Other Realities

[ QUOTE ]
I have come to the conclusion that the Neo-Con view (and plans) for Iraq hinged more on a blind faith of sorts than on any realistic plans or expectations for security and success. I think their faith that the people of the Middle East positively hungered for liberal democracy, led the Neo-Cons down the garden path, a path that turned out to be filled with briars and brambles after the initial success of the military steamroller. The Neo-Cons in turn led the American people and military down that garden path.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this was the extent of the committment that was made by many/most U.S. citizens. When the administration wanted to change that commitment, they did not seek a consensus and thus opposition to the changed commitment materialized. It was inevitable and certainly understandable.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you point to any examples of genuine success after the initial phases? I can't. The closest thing might be the elections but those are deeply marred by the inherently flawed Constitution and the various examples of top Iraqi politicians using their power not for the benefit of Iraq as a whole but rather for promotion of their sectarian agendas - even cooperating with the death squads.

At this point I feel the administration used way too much spin and way too much faith in going to war. The cynical view is turning out to be supported.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a linky that outlines the accomplishments in Iraq from one point of view:

USAID - Assistance for Iraq

Might find it interesting.