View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: If you would be so kind...investing, the essentials.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I would also like a reality check. If it seems like I'm being too naive, it's because I am. I am under the impression that anyone can beat the stock market for around 10% roi, but if I'm daydreaming here, please do tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but you do sound naive and your plan is not feasible. Almost no one can consistently beat the market, especially by 10%.

Here are some tips:

1. Don't get overconfident. Regardless of your views on the efficiency of the market, the market is full of noise and is extremely difficult to beat.

2. Don't trust people. There are a lot of swindling and stupid people who will tell you how to invest correctly.

If I were you, I would invest the money in index funds. They are more sensible than individual stocks - they have the same returns but much lower volatility. If you really do want to try individual stocks, I would paper trade at first, and then never trade more than what you can afford to lose. Individual stocks are risky - losing a huge chunk or even all of your money is possible. Be cautious.

Here's a forum full of helpful people, including some well-renowned authors: diehards.org/forum/index.php