View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Theory post: How do I increase my Win$WSF?

[ QUOTE ]
Whats so funny is that i realized i have no idea what my % is for this stat, yet OP is so worried if it is a few % too low or high, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you're proud of your ignorance. I'm not so much worried about it as I am using it as a possible indicator for leaks in my game. Good for you if that stat is a complete non-issue for you. As for me, I like to take advice from high stake players like Luegofuego (a 10/20 regular) who made a big deal out of win$wsf. Read his The Well thread in the small stakes forum.

I'm a little taken back by how little value you guys place on statistics. You guys seem to throw around the word "variance" like some kind of universal get-out-of-jail-free card. Bad winrate? Variance! Low aggression? Variance! High vpip? Variance! Folds BB to steal too often? Variance! Not taking down enough pots when you see the flop? VARIANCE!!!

I really hope for all your sake that you consider using stats as a tool to improve your game. It's right there in front of you! Why not use it? Sure, it could be "variance," and of course it changes in time depending on how your game evolves. But could it also be likely that you simply have A LEAK? Why not be more critical of yourself instead of dismissing possible statistical indicators as VARIANCE? Of course don't depend on it. Still evaluate your big hands, questionable plays, marginal situations, etc. But I think stats is an excellent supplement.

Despite this thread being filled with completely useless posts except for a couple of posters, I saw some helpful advice. In the future, I'll be putting together a post about taking down pots and recognizing weakness to hopefully spark a worthwhile discussion on this issue.

What I find funny is that a lot of you guys seem to take ptbb/100 as the most valuable stat when it is arguable one most subject to VARIANCE.