View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: The Psychology of Poker (Stud Hi) example

There's a lot of crap in 2+2 books, and I highly doubt Sklansky have edited the hand or would have edited pretty much any hand.

Also, I don't think Schoonmaker actually is any more than a dabbler in poker and isn't mentionably good. So I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

I haven't bothered with the book in question, but it does seem to be pretty horrible, not just in its execution, but in the entire premise of the book. If I remember correctly he thinks that everything about players can be summarized by looseness and aggressiveness, which is just a really bad idea. He also seems to think that you can just observe players and really quickly derive their strategy with very high precision, and that's just wrong.

So basically I think it's retarded to fold trip tens.

Of course, his premise is that the other guy has the straight and if you agree with that there's no point thinking about the hand. But that's a [censored] description since normally you just have an imprecise estimate of how aggressive people are on various streets. And the later the street, the more imprecise that estimate is going to be.

And a large part of the time you're not going to have any reasonable estimate at all.