View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Re: PLO8 $2: Flopped boat, scary river

assuming this is a $2 max buy-in table:

- as a general rule, you want to bet your made hands since villains will call with a WIDE range.

- sometimes you might want to check to induce a bluff if you get some idiot (often a nlhe player) who thinks he can push you off your hand. "always" or "never" is a bit rough... just vary your play a bit. at these stakes, i'd actually consider check-raising since an aggro player with an underfull will pretty much never fold, and they'll have an underfull quite often.

- against the tightest nit on the planet, you may consider check-calling. that being said, the tightest nit on the planet wouldn't be in the hand unless he had something like AAK9, so the mistake would be earlier in the hand if you had this read. fwiw, i've come across maybe 5 players (who play or played regularly) like this over the past few years.

- as a general rule, players at lower levels make their biggest errors by calling too much, so betting is usually your friend here. as you move up, you'll find that there's a transition to the point that many players make their biggest errors by being too aggressive -- you trap these people (it's not necessarily as simple as it sounds).

anyway, my default play is to bet out (reasons stated above).

hope this helps.