View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

Booker's Bourbon ($55, BevMo)

This is a relatively expensive, cask strength Bourbon. It is 120+ proof, which means it's like fire.

The first thing you get from this is the intensely strong alcohol, almost burning your mouth. A few drops of water definitely helps here. And drink smaller sips than you might with other bourbons.

Once you let it linger in your mouth a bit, though, you'll realize that it has a really deep flavor, not sweet, but very flavorful and well rounded. Oaky and smoky with hints of fruit/vanilla/whatever sweetness to round it out. The initial hit of alcohol fades and leaves a nice, long, lingering taste. Very smooth finish for a bourbon this strong.

This is too strong for my taste to be an everyday whiskey, but on occassion after a few drinks I like to finish the evening off slowly sipping on a Booker's. Really nice, and also goes really well with cigars.

Now, some comments on other reviews (I missed a couple, but thanks to everyone for the awesome contributions!). Remember, ALL POSTS IN THIS THREAD MUST START WITH A REVIEW, OTHERWISE THEY'LL BE DELETED:

Sapo: That has come highly recommended to me as a great value, I'll give it a try.

K: Highland Park is excellent. It's another one that I recommend very highly along with the Balvenie for people getting into scotch. Very nice and smooth, not quite as sweet as the Balvenie.

K: Oban, along with Dalwhinnie, is one I frequently recommend to people who want to start trying out some slightly peatier scotch. Very nice one.

L: That Balvenie 10 is nice, but for not about the same price, I think the 12yo is much nicer. It's a little bit smoother and a little bit sweeter. If you found the 10 to be a bit on the sweet side, you might think the 12yo is too fruity, though. I think it's just right to balance the pretty full scotch flavor.

W: That was just barely enough of a review to keep me from deleting it!

dark: Those Glenmorangies are nice, but a little pricey. I think for the price you can get better stuff.

Lars: Oh my, that sounds phenomenal I will def look out for it, and DEFINITELY post a trip report. I have a review of the 12yo cask strength Laphroaig in the OOT thread (linked in OP). That's currently my favorite whiskey.

d: The Oban is sort of an intro to peaty scotch. The Laphroaig is the real deal. You should check out some different varieties of Laphroaig and also get some Lagavulin. Those are the two kings of peaty scotch!

bd: Talisker is really good stuff. It is a little peatier than the Oban and Dalwhinnie, sort of the next step before hitting the super peaty scotches. I am a big fan. That 10 is a nice scotch. The ones aged more get a little smoother.

Banks: Blanton's is one of my favorites. Nice review, agree completely, though I go with a few drops of water rather than a whole ice cube in that tasty bourbon!

belly: That sounds like exactly how I would review Old Overholt Rye. Harsh and knocks your socks off, but hell, you're drinking rye.

Audi: Any and all reviews are welcome and appreciated!

Iron: Woodford is one of my standards to order at a bar, but as you'll see when we get into more bourbons in this thread, I think you can do a little better for the money. Woodford is definitely very nice and smooth with a really good flavor.

fyc: Macallan 18 is definitely a top notch scotch.

quids: We'll get into some other bourbons in this thread and get you some recommendations for under $20 that I think you'll really like.

ads: I enjoy the Bowmores quite a bit and will get around to reviewing a couple of them.

Mike: Old Rip van Winkle is really good stuff.

dylan: Lagavulin 16 is one of the most delicious heavy peat scotches around.