View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Would this work?

This probably has a lot of holes, but why wouldn't this system work in pro sports?

The basics:

Assign monetary value to certain stats. In baseball, say runs are worth $200, RBI $200, HR $350, etc etc.

All players have a base salary, something like $200k. This could go up by $50k or something every year they are in the league. Maybe a bonus for staying with the same team for x amount of years.

This rewards players who perform, for example if it was set up right then ARod would make MVP type money. If someone was injured, they would still receive their base salary, plus perhaps some other compensation (maybe players can "take insurance" on themselves for like 1% of their total pay or something).

Basically, the system would encourage performance at all times. It would eliminate a lot of problems in the NFL as far as the guaranteed pay thing goes. If a player gets hurt and misses games, he still gets paid, but this way owners protect against players slumping. However, it works both ways. A rookie or 2nd year player who stands to earn $400k currently, could possibly earn more than established vets with good enough stats.

This system could be tweaked every year or every 5 years or whatever works best. I guess this works best for owners, because under this system no one would get paid $10m if they had a .220 season. I think it's fair though, players should have to earn their pay. However, if I was a player I'm not sure I would like this system.

Questions/comments/insults time. I want to learn why this wouldn't work in theory. It's probably something really simple that I'm missing.