View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: New York City bans trans fats

My family has been in the restaurant business for years, and the point I'm trying to make is consumer ignorance. It's impossible for a customer to be aware of all the conditions regarding the products they purchase whether it be ingredients in food, materials used in making their shoes, location and wages of the workers the factories hire..

So if it were legal for someone to run a filthy unsanitry restaurant, then wouldn't you be afraid that every restaurant you visit would fit that mold? Would you go to the backroom and check?

I know you know where I'm coming from, and these laws are great because they protect the consumer in areas where the consumer can't always protect themselves.

My post above wasn't saying that anyone would knowingly choose to eat at a filthy restaurant, but that's not to say that people wouldn't unknowingly fall victim if there was no law concerning the sanitation of food faculties.

From your position you have to agree with this:

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">
I open a large restaurant chain tomorrow and I put arsenic in the lasagna, yet don't advertise it. I'll list it in the ingredients if a consumer were to ask otherwise it's rather subtle. You come in with your family, and your daughter orders the lasagna and then gets sick and dies.

Who's responsible?

Obviously your dead daughter is at fault by being an irresponsible consumer by not asking the waiter if there was indeed arsenic present in the lasagna.

After all my reasoning for putting the arsenic in the lasagna to begin with is that I was exercising the right for people to choose whether or not they want a deadly substance in their lasagna.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ] Right?