View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: black people still not equals in america?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone else still feel bad that black people are not treated as equals in america?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do. People in this forum think if that we stick our fingers in our ears that we can make race based problems go away. The problem is, that you most definately are treated differently in this country by what color your skin is. Whether it's in the media, in court or where you live, being a minority is an excellent predictor of having a crappy life. Heck, the concensus on this forum is that Obama can't get elected because he is black.

Of course, there are two explanations for this: either you believe that minorities are inferior or that forces outside their control have led to this. I believe the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree that some outside forces have led to some imbalances, but that is not the whole picture. What outside forces have led to the result that Asians now earn more than whites in the USA? How have whites been oppressed leading to this unequal result?

Not all unequal results are the result of unequal treatment. Some unequal results are the result of unequal treatment. The point about Asian incomes having surpassed white incomes in the USA proves the above statement, since there is no conceivable way to assert that whites have been discriminated against vis-a-vis Asians in America. Yet Asians now earn more than whites in America. So some group differences in results can and do exist without oppression being a causative factor.

edit: Of course, one might argue that whites haven't been oppressed vis-a-vis Asians, that whites are just inferior. I prefer to think it is due to cultural differences that Asians now outearn whites in America. Notably, too, Asians were highly oppressed in America many decades ago.

Thanks for reading.