Thread: Parents Packet
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Parents Packet

Old parent response:

The concern is natural. We all think we know what's best for our kids. The problem is, some of us have trouble with boundaries.
The "packet" approach is a cop-out but it makes me wonder if you haven't had some sort of "discussion" with them before. If so, I'll guess things didn't go well. Do your parents support you in any financial way? If so, they may have a vested interest in how their money is being spend. Even if it's only a perception, their perception is their reality.

The easiest way to deal with them is in an open and honest way. If you've got a good handle on your gaming and honestly don't believe that you have a problem, acknowledge that you received the packet and thank them for their concern. Be willing to discuss the matter fully.
Don't get defensive and adopt a, "it's my life and I can do what I want to" attitude. Even if it's true.

FWIW, I'm 58 YOA, happily married, financially stable and my 86 year old Mom still tells me to be careful when I go to Vegas. It's who she is. I wouldn't have it any other way.