View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Home game rules - slight rant

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are most home game players not aware that there are poker rule books? Do most home games just operate by the seat of their pants and resolve problems only as they arise rather than trying to anticipate possible problems or actually learning the rules or having a rule book handy?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right.

I would say that most (90%+) home games are just a bunch of people who know the basic rules of poker getting together for a good time. They are usually friends who don't regularily study or play the game.

In my group, I'm about the only one who knows the rules, and only because I spend a lot of time on this site.

If it weren't for the other 90% of games out there who don't know the rules, there wouldn't be any discussion for me to read.

So what I don't get is, what was the point of the OP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps his point is that we have Robert's Rules, which, although other people have pointed out there are other rule books, comes as close to a standard set of rules as we have in the poker world.

Somewhere in the area of 98.72% of rules related questions we get on this forum are easily answered by consulting Robert's Rules. If you're aware enough of this poker forum to ask the rules question in the first place, perhaps you ought to be aware enough to consult Robert's Rules (or some other rule book) before asking for a ruling.

Then, if you don't agreee with the rule, perhaps one could ask for alternative suggestions, of if its not clear whether or how the rule applies, they could ask here.

So I think the rant is something along the lines of, c'mon, if you're going to play poker, understand that there are published rules and consult them already when disputes come up.