View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Negreanu advise to math players

Reading this post in NVG, I found this gem by Daniel:

------
What I often question is whether or not "math players" are able to factor in the human element as much as they should. Based on talking with Bill and Chris Ferguson, they try to play poker in such a way that makes them impossible to exploit. That is a good strategy, but I could illustrate several scenarios where it wouldn't be the best strategy.

I'd go as far as to say that if you feel as though you may be an underdog in a certain game that applying a strategy that isn't exploitable might just be the best course of action.

However, if you are at a table where you are the best player at the table, you should be less concerned with your opponents exploiting you, and more concerned with taking advantage of holes in their game.

-----

I consider myself a math type, and I think this is very, very good advise for us.

I remember asking MLG in his well about some advise to improve my game, and he told me to stop over analyzing players and concentrate in their mistakes; and Daniel in the last paragraph explains clearly why this is specially important in Internet tournaments.

BTW, hopefully the idiots in NVG don't drive Daniel away from this forum.