View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: \"Atheism for kids\"

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.christianstogether.net/Pu....aspx?id=98990

Well the faithful may have a point here, if not a weak one as usual. Is the objection here that youngsters might be exposed to contradictory ideas? Then bring it on!

The sad fact is these ideas are promulgated largely because, at a young age, children are scared into believing whatever loony notions their parents happen to hold. This occurs, it is fair to say, in a high percentage of your typical household throughout the world and converts are a relatively small percentage of the remainder.

We need better ways to teach our kids, give them critical thinking skills that dust away these ridulous historical and scientific claims while at the same time making them better future citizens. As it is, if you get them believing in invisible all-powerful sky monsters, it is no wonder so many grow up gullible to policial, social and media-driven trash. It's just one of the many damanging after effects oh ye faithful generate in their efforts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty much summed up my position on teaching my son that Santa exists. My wife disagrees, of course.