View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Default FXI - China and market collapse

Approximately 3/4 of a year ago, I allocated a decent percentage of my portfolio to FXI - a large cap China ETF. While not the most well researched investment, at the time I was very bullish on China's long term outlook primarily due to GDP trends and what I forsee as a duopoly b/w China and the US as soon as Chinese GDP and defense spending matches (overtakes) the US.

Obviously, this ETF has enjoyed enormous returns over the past year. While very familiar with corporate finance etc I have little experience trading outside of some well researched value plays I have made in the past. With this particular holding I feel like I am trying to time the tech market collapse. From a fundamental value perspective I can't help but think nearly all of the companies I hold in the index are overvalued.

On the other hand, for psychological (and political/legislative reasons) I feel like money will probably continue to pour into the chinese stock market.

So my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this situation? What is the most reasonable approach to thinking about buying more / selling my holding?