View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 AM

Default another view on variance

this is just something i thought of. the way we make most of our money is from the fish/weaker players. how do they have money?

one reason there are fish with money around is that they get lucky against the better players. when i play a better play it is very difficult to pry money out of his hands unless i get lucky, and then i'm still going to lose in the long run so it's stupid to try. but when 1 fish out of 5 gets lucky against him and gets a big score, now i can get money from the fish instead of the good player.

if there weren't variance like this, the pool of online poker money would go to the best players much, much quicker than it does. variance like this is part of a larger mechanism at work - one that appropriates some money from the top players to the poor players and, in turn, to the less-than-top players. it might suck short-term for you to be on the short end of the stick, but you're just part of a greater system that is responsible, in part, for your success.

of course if you're the top player in the world this will just make you depressed. but for the rest of us i think that should be some consolation =)