View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

[ QUOTE ]
This is not an amusement park ride that is shut down so that it can be fixed (or so it can be determined whether there is a risk of repetition). This is not football or the other inherently dangerous activities listed by bav. This is poker -- an activity that is not inherently dangerous to life or limb -- being played in a place and manner where (1) the political/law enforcement authorities have determined that it is illegal, and (2) it has become the target of criminals with guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Walking into a bar is taking your life into your own hands. There are more fights in and around bars than much of anywhere else in the country, and people die in these stupid altercations. I don't object at all to someone deciding it's too dangerous to go to a bar at night--that's their choice--but please don't go telling your representatives that all bars have to be closed because they're not safe.

Visiting Wal-Mart or the grocery store is not an inherently dangerous activity. Nobody expects to die or get hurt doing it. But do it after dark in a shady area, and you are significantly increasing your risk of harm. Should we ban after-dark shopping next time someone is shot in a KwikyMart parking lot at 11pm?

It's just a tremendously ridiculous notion to me that people are using a single tragic event to trumpet the position that NYC should further crack down on illegal clubs. It's just obvious to me it's still an individual's choice to make. We all know going to North Las Vegas to the 7-11 at 11pm is a bad idea, but some folks choose to do it. And we all know that when you go to any event where lotsa cash is likely to appear, a certain risk of robbery is attached, whether that event be a charity bingo fund raiser, an underground NYC poker room, or your corner bank's grand opening celebration.