View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Evaluation of Ms in Financial Eng for trading job

[ QUOTE ]

The feedback I've gotten is that the first one is more theory based, while the second one is more practical based. Not sure how to interpret that by just looking at the modules description, but I think both would be good for a trading job?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case you'd be better off with the second...assuming all other things are equal...unless you're considering doing a PhD in the field later on.

More importantly, however, you should find out the placement of the previous students. And make sure you find out the placement of the students WITH NO financial experience and advanced degrees (I assume you don't have these). Any program can place students well with experience or with PhD-s.

Finally, keep in mind (unless you're exceptional) that you're chances are fairly low to go straight into trading...not even NYU's or Berkley's program can guarantee that. The main purpose of a program is to teach you how to price derivatives or use them for risk management.

People I know who got into trading from MSc had previous contacts or were exceptional at networking...but this was in Canada...not so many trading jobs here.