View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

all,

Red Wine Audio has some of the coolest products (battery powered integrated and mono amps and modded battery powered Olive music servers. Vinni Rossi also has an all battery powered USB DAC/ Pre amp in the works - called Isabella - from his website....

"The Isabella will be an SLA battery powered tubed preamp, with built-in NOS dac (non-oversampling...not to be confused with "new old stock" in this context Mr. Green) . Details are still being worked out and please keep in mind that nothing is set in stone at this point, but here are some of the features:

-- Tubed-preamp stage using two 6922 (6DJ8/ECC88) tubes...one per channel. Other tubes in this family can be used, such as the 7308, 6H23 (russian), 6N11 (chinese)

-- The Isabella will be completely off-the-grid running on SLA battery power, and will feature the new SMART module as described here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=44739.0
It will also feature the same new style 24V SLA battery charger as the Siganture 30.2 and 70.2 (with 4x faster charging speed and beefy XLR plug), and touch-sensing power switch built into the front panel.

-- The gain will probably in the neighborhood of 12dB

-- There will be a built-in non-oversampling dac that is going to change your opinion of "digital music" in that it is not going to sound anything like digital. With a USB input (direct to I2S), using a computer as your source is going to blow your mind. Singing Happily For those who prefer to use a CD player, DVD player, SB2, SB3, Olive Music Server (hopefully modded on SLA ), or any other source that outputs SPDIF, the Isabella's internal dac will also accept coax or optical spdif inputs."

www.redwineaudio.com

Suzzer99 - You are of course correct about diminishing returns - lets face it - the main difference in a 20k speaker and a good 5k one is mostly bass. I think you probably don't need to spend much more than say 6k total. Anything more is serious diminishing returns, but for a Goldman Sachs subprime shortseller, why not...

These new digital products are very exciting in that for relatively low money - one gets the best of both worlds; world beating sound that competes with expensive transports and cd palyers and the advantages of digital playback such as unlimited access to entire library on the fly.
I will never, ever, ever, ever purchase a cd player again.
Most people have of couese already figured this out, but for the wrong reasons (mp3)

I need more $ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]