View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Ethics of stalling vs. EV

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is not a "valid strategy"...it is a despicable angle shoot. You would not be allowed to do this in a live tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, angle shoot. I'm not tricking anyone though. I'm not circumventing a rule. I'm just ignoring ediquette. As someone else said, how is it going to be stopped? I get a certain amount of time for each decision. If I take the full time for each move, what are they going to penalize me on?

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I decide it would be +EV to scream at the top of my lungs everytime someone else is making a decision? That's just ignoring etiquette too, right? Is it a valid strategy?

And repeated intentional stalling would be stopped/penalized by any reasonable tournament director.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, screaming is hardly the same as sitting quietly and taking longer than you'd normally take. Second, I believe it's explicitly illegal to intentionally be disruptive on other player's turns, which moves beyond a questionable tactic into outright rule breaking. You're letting your emotions dictate your responses and consideration on this issue. I was talking about a tactic (angle shoot or not) aimed at creating +EV and how much money would have to be at stake for people to use it. You're going hysterical crying "dispicable" and inventing madmen screaming at the table as somehow an equivalent argument. Maybe you're easy to put on tilt?

Still, somewhere in your frothing at the mouth, you've managed to indicate stalling would be penalized at some point. I'm interested, in a sort of academic way, what that point would be and how it'd be enforced. They could clock me each time from the point it was my turn to act. That'd be fine and reasonable.

Note: Has anyone, ever, been warned about stalling online? I doubt it. What makes you think they're really going to take heavy handed action at a live tournament for being slow? At the least, I'd guess you'd get a warning first.