View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: How to discipline yourself ?

Let me see if this thread can be saved.

What I *try* to do is similar to what I do in my chess tournaments. Namely, when I notice a change in the game, no matter what the cause is, I will step away from the board, think about how things are now. Where do I stand? What is my opponent trying to do? What is his goal behind these tactics? What can I do differently to improve the situation? I think about all my possible adjustments. Once I have an idea in mind, I then return to the board ready to play the situation as it lies. This helps me forget my blunders (or good plays [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )to get me here.

To do this, I have to sacrifice some time off my clock in chess. In poker, I may lose a few blinds. It's worth the price.

Every time something major happens on the board, the game has changed. What was happening no longer matters. It's what is happening now that counts. It is the new situation that I need to be aware of, so I can play accordingly.

It seems to be working for me in both ring and tournament poker. I hope it helps everybody else, unless I'm at your table.